Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Painting without precision

Every so often I have one of those eureka moments and a new burst of creative technique gushes forth. Well, in this case, not so much new technique just a sudden feeling of comfort about applying paint. I so often struggle with my often overwhelming need to neaten my art. I do so love the precision of black lines and the delicate blending of colours, but also I admire very much that messier style of abstract art which comes across with so much energy and spontaneity. I find that very hard to do.. being the perfectionist that I am. So the last three pieces that I painted are an achievement for me. They are not precise and they are much more hap-hazard than normal and I love them. I am hoping they will sell well too because I really want to explore this style more. That is the one thing I dislike about making my living from art. I find that what I paint is very much dictated by what sells. I would love to throw caution to the wind and paint absolutely whatever I wanted but bills have to be paid and a certain business like attitude must prevail sadly. Not that it is a big problem. Mostly what I love to paint sells well so that's OK then. Fingers crossed for these three!


Red Herring


Hush Hush


Opium Fields

4 Comments:

Blogger Barking Biscuit said...

Where are you? I've missed your posts. I'm still working on my Horace...probably the slowest knitter ever.

1:12 am  
Blogger Amanda said...

Hi Sara,
Yes, quite right.. where am I... come on now Amanda, get on with it!
Slowly maturing Horace's are perfectly fine. It gives them a lovely laid back attitude to life.

6:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Great works! I've always been an admirer but Jess tagged me after you tagged her. I came to look at your blog. Didn't know that you had one. All I can say is WOWWWWW! :)
*HUGS*

10:59 pm  
Blogger Kiss My Art said...

Hello Amanda, how's things? I just stumbled across your blogspot and have had an amazingly entertaining time. I didn't realise you had four children. Fabulous! I can see you're quite a celebrity!!

I think you're an incredible person. I'm always fascinated by people with drive, committment and creative energy. I'm a great admirer of your art as you know. I find all those blocks of zingy colours spiritually uplifting. I've still got the portrait I painted of you. It's still on my portfolio on AW. 'The Punk Princess' I got offered money for it the other day but my husband told them it wasn't for sale. He loves it. Perhaps some time in the near future we'll have another go at finding you.We've got your address now all we have to do is drive over to Trawsfydd. Anyway, take care and hope to see you soon.
Regards from Rusty W Gladdish. Artwanted.

2:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home